10 Things to do After Installing Self Hosted WordPress
1. Login to Dashboard at /wp-admin/2. Go to Screen Options available in top-right3. Uncheck few items such as Event and News.
1. Go Minimal
1. Go to Plugins2. Click on Add New3. Search a plugin called 'UpdraftPlus'4. Install and Activate5. Go to its Settings, schedule Files and Database for Daily backup.6. Must link with Drive.
Never use admin as username. This is prone to brute-force attack.
Add a new user, sign in from it, and delete admin one.
Never use admin as username. This is prone to brute-force attack. Add a new user, sign in from it, and delete admin one.
1. Go to Appearance 2. Go to Themes3. Search 'GeneratePress'4. Install, activate5. For any help, check its support forum.
4. Use a reputed Theme
1. Go to Plugins 3. Click on Add new 3. Search Forget Spam Comment4. Install and activate
5. Avoid Spam Comments
Depending on Server/hosting you need to choose.For Apache, WP Fastest Cache is a best plugin to try.
6. Use Caching plugin for Perf
1. Go to Settings2. Go to Permalink3. Choose postname type for clean permalink.4. Fun fact, it is used by 99% blog.
6. Set Permalinks
1. Create a Page called Contact2. Install and activate Fluent Form plugin.3. Paste its Shortcode by editing your Contact page that you created in first step.
6. Use a Contact Form
I would highly recommend using AWS SES or at least Gmail SMTP server for WordPress outgoing emails. Use Fluent SMTP plugin for easy setup.
7. Setup SMTP
Without SMTP your form may not work, WordPress cannot send important email such as for Password reset, new comment notifications, etc.
Why SMTP is critical?
An easiest way is using Flying Analytics plugin. All you need to paste your tracking IDDo not edit theme to paste inside header.
8. Install Google Analytics
Install and Activate Rankmath plugin. It will do neccessary Schema Markup, help you noindex thin pages such as Author, Tag, Category, etc.
9. Optimize for SEO
1. Go to WP settings2. Go to Discussion3. Uncheck 'Attempt to notify any blogs linked to from the post'4. Also do uncheck ''Allow link notifications from other blogs (pingbacks and trackbacks) on new posts'