Let’s see, how I migrated my Discourse from Vultr (old Server) to Linode (new Server)…
- Access to old Discourse admin account
- Access to domain DNS manager
- SSH Credentials of old and new server
- Transactional E-mail services login credentials.
Step 1. Create a Local Backup of old Discourse
First off, set Local Storage and must include thumbnails in Backups settings. Without this step, I had really horrible experience. I learned this hard way.
Step 2. Sign up at Linode 🎉
🎁 To get $20 Free Credits, please use promo code: podcastinit2019
Step 3. Create a New Instance at Linode
- Distribution: Ubuntu 18.04×64
- Region: Mumbai, India
- Linode Plan: 1 CPU, 50GB Storage, 2GB RAM
- Linode Label: Discourse
- Root Password: Enter a secure password
- SSH Keys: Select existing or generate new via PuTTyGen
Step 4. Point domain to Linode Server IP
- Use A type record for the IPV4 address
- Use AAAA type record for the IPV6 address (Optional)
Step 5. Install Discourse at Linode
Please refer to these steps and install a new Discourse.
- Connect to new Server using SSH, PuTTy on Windows.
- Install Docker / Git
- Install Discourse
- Keep your e-mail credentials ready
- Setup Discourse Configuration
- This process may take up to 5 minutes.
- Confirm e-mail
- Login to new Discourse
Step 6. Go to Discourse Settings
Enable Allow Restore.
Step 7. Migrate Backup file.
Connect to old server via SSH, go to backup location
cd /var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default & vdir
Now, you will see a backup file in tar.gz format. Note down file name.
- You need to use same file name with below SCP command.
- Also, replace 192.168.1.1 to your own new server IP.
- Use SCP command to copy file from old to new Cloud Server.
scp *.tar.gz email@example.com:/var/discourse/shared/standalone/backups/default
It will output like this
The authenticity of host '192.168.1.1 (188.8.131.52)' can't be established. ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:WTiKVipml0QKCjAzFyk6/fEh8/MI8K8vtv+2QZ54sc0. Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?
- Type yes and press enter key.
- Then, Enter password
Hint: (Do right click to enter password. Press Enter. It will be invisible, don’t worry)
Step 8. Login to new Discourse
- Go to Backups, now you will see your backup file 😄
- Restore the file which we brought from old server
Step 9. Enable outgoing e-mails
🎉 Congrats! You are done! 😊
Using S3 was costly for me. This is the most affordable and easiest way I can think off.
This process doesn’t need any local download or upload. You can save your Internet data this way.
If you liked this do share, or any question? Let me know below.